Is There A Reason To Be Concerned About Smart Home Hacking In West Palm Beach?
In various ways, smart components like security cameras and video doorbells have boosted our home security. We can receive notifications when a stranger comes up our front porch, and we may even have footage sent to us when dubious movements are happening. Having devices we are able to access via the internet advises us to developing hazards instantaneously. But there is one primary downside. The access that benefits us is also creating a pathway for hackers.
Although you don’t have to lose sleep worrying about smart home hacking in West Palm Beach, you ought to be cognizant of the risk involved and take steps to circumvent it.
Methods To Prevent Smart Home Hacking
It would seem that practically everything is joined to the internet today - home security devices, TVs, and even your kitchen appliances like ovens and refrigerators. This also generates more pathways for cyber criminals to sneak into your network. With that being said, you don’t have to eschew wireless home defense systems or other smart devices. Rather, consider these recommendations and take steps to keep intruders away from your network.
- Use strong passwords: This is a necessity for every account, and that includes your home Wi-Fi. Use lower and upper casing and a mix of numbers, letters, and special characters. Stay away from dates of birth, full words, or other things hackers may easily figure out. A password generator will supply you with something absolutely random and password management software will help you track your many passwords and accounts.
- Change default settings: When you first unbox your new router, it’s likely to come with a preprogrammed password to help you get started. Change it. Hackers will know these default passwords as well. Establishing your Wi-Fi network and router correctly in the beginning is critical in keeping you protected.
- Consider a separate network: Why have your smart oven, your security sensors, and your work laptop on the same network? The majority of routers will let you initiate a distinct guest network. Make use of it and shield important data present on your phone, desktop, and laptop.
- Add protection with a firewall: Firewalls aren’t merely for business settings. They may also be used on private network. Firewalls are able to keep an eye on your network’s traffic and block questionable activity. You can start with a router that offers an incorporated firewall.
- Choose the latest encryption settings and security protocols: If you have a new router, you might be able to use WPA3, the most up-to-date wireless security protocol. If that’s not an option, WPA2 with AES encryption is still a good choice. You should find home security devices that protect with 128-bit encryption or higher.
- Ensure firmware and software is updated: Keep your firmware and software on the most recent version for all devices, which includes your networked video cameras. Frequently, these updates will patch vulnerabilities and improve your network’s security.
Be Cautious of Shoddy Smart Home Components In West Palm Beach
Leading companies like ADT and Amazon have their status to maintain and will take steps to remedy a security bug in their equipment. Other off-the-shelf brands may not act in the same fashion. Purchasing your video cameras, smart thermostat, video doorbell, and additional components from a lone supplier like ADT makes sense. And getting all of your equipment hooked up simultaneously will help ensure flawless integration, security, and performance. It’s also good to know that ADT Command, the central touchpad interface, utilizes two-way encryption when engaging with with your smart devices.
Customize Your Own West Palm Beach Wireless Home Security Package
As you now have a greater understanding on how to keep your wireless network secure, you’re ready to start on your own home defense system in West Palm Beach. The security specialists at Secure24 Alarm Systems are here to create the ideal package for your family. Dial (561) 291-7769 or submit the form to take your protection to a new level.