What Causes House Fires In West Palm Beach And Methods To Prevent Them
As a homeowner, one of the biggest perils to your home and family members is the risk of fire. The U.S. Fire Administration estimated in 2019 that American homeowners took on about $1.6 billion in costs due to unintentional or negligent fires. Unfortunately, fires are unpredictable and are frequently preventable -- if you know where to look. And hopefully you have a monitored fire alarm that sends you help fast if you ever have an outbreak.
What Causes House Fires In West Palm Beach?
Fires can spark in any spot at any time in the home. However, you can lessen the risk of a house fire if you take precautions around the following items:
- Stoves and Ovens: Cooking is the leading cause, by a huge margin, of a house fire in West Palm Beach. Cooking-related blazes typically result when the kitchen is left neglected while cooking food. Water used on a grease fire only works to escalate a flame that would alternatively be contained.
- Candles: Passing out in a space with a lit candle is problematic, even when you use a high-sided candle holder. The flame can blow and catch a curtain on fire if left on a window sill, and animals can topple candlesticks in their playing. The National Fire Protection Association estimates that more than 7,600 properties were damaged because of candle-related accidents between 2014-2018.
- Electrical wires: Corroded electrical circuit interrupters, “tamper-resistant” electrical outlets, aging or improperly set up lighting, and cut lamp cords is a big risk. Be careful not to overload your outlets or plug an item in with uncovered wires. On the off chance you hear popping or detect smoke from the outlet, power down the breaker off prior to investigating.
- Space Heaters: Skip over coiled space heaters because debris, like dust bunnies, paper, or bed sheets can find their way in and alight. However, you should also monitor fan and ceramic space heaters whenever the device is in operation.
- Cigarettes: Just in 2014, U.S. fire departments responded to more than 17,000 house fires triggered by cigars, pipes, or cigarettes. If you have tobacco products that smokes indoors, ensure they never fall asleep with a cigarette or smoke in bed. And fully put out your tobacco items before you toss it into a waste bin.
A Monitored Smoke Detector Can Can Helps When You Have A Fire
If a fire happens to start, you will need to have an effective detection system to notify your spouse and children before it gets serious. A traditional smoke alarm might be sufficient but is only able to alert you if smoke is in thick clouds. A cutting-edge fire alarm -- a security device that's pair with your home security system -- is able to detect both smoke and rising temperatures and has more features to ensure everyone is safe.
A monitored fire alarm has several methods by which it can alert you of a fire. Your alarms can alert your loved ones with an incredibly loud alarm and a message to your smartphone. Then your ever-vigilant monitoring experts reaches out to the fire department. And should you be somewhere where you can't get home when a fire breaks out, you can have peace of mind that your monitoring agent will facilitate communication between you and emergency personnel.
Get Your Monitored Fire Alarms From Secure24 Alarm Systems
The chance of house fires in West Palm Beach should never be written off, but you can have peace of mind if you have a monitored fire alarm in your home. Contact Secure24 Alarm Systems, and we’ll help you install all the fire sensors you need with a comprehensive home security system. Call (561) 291-7769 or submit the form below to get started.